Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Ninth Commissioner

I found the above image at a flea market recently. Since I collect cabinet cards marked as being from locales in the Old West, I was thrilled almost beyond words to get this one! Fortunately, most dealers don't attach much significance to the photographer or location so I paid only $2.00. There was some serious damage present which I've repaired (at least for the purpose seen here) in Photoshop. A great addition to my collection!

While the subject is a fine looking young gent, I felt that with the cabinet card being an authentic specimen from the famous old frontier cow town of Dodge City, I needed to embellish the image a bit. So I donned my western duds and posed for a few self-timed photos. Then, using Photoshop, I combined the two images to get this more exciting -- if less than honest -- impression of an old time Dodge City lawman. Note that I've borrowed the guy's neck tie and even his hand. Meant to use his watch chain too, but forgot to include it. All in all, one of my best attempts at this kind of thing and probably the most "accurate" in terms of original elements used in the composition of my fake version of the image.

And here is the actual Dodge City Peace Commission, photographed in 1883. Most notably, that's Wyatt Earp seated second from the left with Bat Masterson standing second from the right. Thanks guys, for hogging all the glory and leaving me out!

Another place, another time. The Kid was there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment